SPEAKŪ Testing Schedule
SPEAK® Test Registration
Students can register for the SPEAK® at ELI-Main Campus:
English Language Institute
351 Manoogian Hall
Detroit, MI 48202
If you have questions, contact Sara Tipton, firstname.lastname@example.org
SPEAK® Test Schedule 2013
|Testing Date||Testing Day||Testing Times|
To register for the SPEAK® test, a student needs to do the following:
- Complete and submit the registration form (ELI, 351 Manoogian Hall).
- Submit a signed form from the department saying that the department is covering the test fee. Departments have this form.
- If a student doesn’t have #2, then they need to either bring it at the test time or bring a check for $50 to pay for the test. (check made out to Wayne State University)
SPEAK® Test Preparation
All prospective graduate teaching assistants (GTAs) whose native language is not English must pass the SPEAK® test with a score of at least 50 (out of 60) to be cleared for teaching. A score of 45 allows you to teach while enrolling in an international GTA course, English 0520. A score below that means you cannot teach, but further English courses will be recommended in preparation for retaking the SPEAK® test at a later date.
About the test, test facility, test conditions:
The SPEAK® test is the institutional form of the original Test of Spoken English (TSE®); the format is the same, but SPEAK® test scores can only be used at Wayne State University. It is a 20-minute exam, with 12 questions asking you to do a series of tasks, such as giving directions, describing pictures or a graph, making an announcement and answering some general questions. The questions are not related to your academic discipline. The raters will be evaluating how well you do these tasks and how clearly you speak English.
The test will be administered in a computer lab in Manoogian Hall. You will not need to click, scroll or write anything other than sign your name; you will wear headphones and speak into a microphone as you look at the test booklet and hear the test questions. Raters will then evaluate your oral skills by listening to what you have recorded.
- Note a practice test on the following website: http://cte.illinois.edu/testing/oral_eng/test_prac.html
- Practice tests are on reserve at the Adamany Undergraduate Library (ask for SPEAK® test practice materials at the Check Out desk on the first floor: CALL No. PE 1128.A2.S64 1992). The format and overall objectives of the test are clearly discussed in the practice test booklet. You may bring a cassette player if you’d like to listen to the cassette provided. Your exam will follow this format exactly, but the questions will be different.
Payment for the test
The department must pay the $50 test fee if you have signed a GTA contract, according to University Policy. Otherwise, you may pay by cash or check made out to Wayne State University.
Where to go/What to bring
Please arrive at least 5 minutes before your test time and wait outside room 367 Manoogian to be checked in. You must present one form of photo identification (passport, driving license, WSU One Card, etc.) to be admitted to the test.
If you have further questions, please contact Sara Tipton, Coordinator for ITA SPEAK Testing and Training, by email at email@example.com or by phone at 313-577-7706.